Bistro String Lights
Bistro lights and LED string lights are a great way to create a warm and welcoming outdoor space for hosting friends and family. They are easy to set up and allow you to bring out your inner artist. Now with solar bistro string lights, you don’t have to worry about having enough cable to connect them to an electrical outlet.
VOLT® Lighting makes solar bistro string lights as well as traditional 120v bistro string lights, which plugs into a standard electrical outlet. VOLT®’s string lights are engineered to withstand the elements using weather-resistant globe lights and a durable cable. Another feature of these string lights is that if one lamp goes out the rest of the string will continue to stay lit.
Designing a Bistro String Lights Layout
Before getting started, take a moment to map a layout of where the outdoor bistro lights will go and the length of your string lights. Then consider what objects you will use to support the weight of lights. You can use nearby trees, patio/deck, or fence posts. However, if none of these support structures are available, create your own DIY patio string light pole.
Choose from any of the easy layouts below or design your own!
This layout is a straightforward approach that outlines the patio and provides light within.
This is one of the simplest layouts, and it requires minimal materials. Anchor the string lights to the house, run them to a structural support point at the opposite end of the patio, and then run them back to the house.
This bistro light pattern is more difficult because it requires more structural points to secure the lights, such as trees or posts, and longer light strings. However, this light pattern will cover the whole patio with plenty of light.
This pattern provides an upscale charm that you would see at events and restaurants.
No matter the layout you choose, make sure you have the required length of bistro lights accounting for some slack.
Installing Bistro String Lights
1. Drill guide holes where you are going to install the hooks.
2. Install the screw cup hooks (mounting hardware) that anchor the lights.
3. (Optional) remove bulbs from lights.
4. If you are using a bistro lights guide wire, you should run it through the grommet holes on the string lights.
5. Before you start hanging the string lights place the male end near the electrical source, and lead with the female end of the wire towards the anchor points.
6. If you use multiple string lights, secure the electrical connection points together to keep them from coming loose with time.
7. Additionally, check that the string lights are secure to the anchoring points to the screw cup hooks (mounting hardware).
8. Outdoor bistro lights are heavier than other string lights, so we recommend using a guidewire. A guidewire will improve the longevity of your bistro string lights, and most of these lights have hanging grommets. Additionally, zip ties can secure the lights to the guidewire.
9. Connect the outdoor bistro lights to the power source and enjoy!
We hope this article about how-to hang bistro lights with layout designs and installation steps was helpful. VOLT® Lighting provides high-quality outdoor landscape lighting to customers everywhere and our VOLT® Lighting Experts are ready to help you 7 days a week!