VOLT® Clamp-Connect 600 Watt (12v/15v) Multi-Tap Low Voltage Transformer
Exclusive VOLT® Innovation: 600W Clamp-Connect 12v/15v LED Landscape Lighting Transformers - featuring easy-to-use clamp-type connectors.
- Easy-to-use clamp-style terminal blocks
- 600W, 12 & 15 volt taps - perfect for LED systems
- High-performance toroidal core
- Lifetime warranty
- Product Code
VOLT® Clamp-Connect 600 Watt (12v/15v) Multi-Tap Low Voltage Transformer for LED Landscape Lighting
This 600-watt Landscape Lighting Transformer features clamp-type terminal blocks that offer many advantages over typical screw-type blocks. Requiring no tools, the stripped wires are inserted individually into each hole, then clamped in place. The process is fast, simple, and provides extremely secure connections - you can't pull them loose.
To ensure a proper connection, lift the white lever to the fully open position. This is achieved once the lever is perpendicular to the direction the wire is inserted. Once the wire is fully inserted into the hole below the open lever, push the white lever back down until it clicks into the closed position. Make sure your connection is complete by giving a light pull on the connected wire.
Features & Benefits:
- Exclusive VOLT® Innovation! Clamp-type connectors to save time and money - and, for better connections that will never come loose.
- Designed for LEDs - only two voltages required - 12 & 15 volts. The lower voltage for short runs, the higher voltage for longer runs or for runs with more fixtures.
- Terminals rated for use of up to 12-gauge wire.
- Toroidal core for more reliable, efficient, cooler and quieter operation than EI laminated transformers.
- Control device receptacles for optional timers and photocells so you can set ON/OFF times.
- Spacious wire compartment (in combination with the clamp-type connectors) makes installation a breeze.
- Stainless steel enclosure with lockable hinged lid.
- Colored wire markers & installation manual.
- cUL Listed.
- Lifetime warranty.
For Your Information: Transformer Technology
What are Magnetic Transformers?
These transformers use two coils, a primary coil and a secondary coil, to reduce the voltage from 120 volts down to 12 volts. The primary coil carries the line voltage (108 v to 132 v). The flow of electricity through the primary coil induces a magnetic field that creates a current in the secondary coil. Since the secondary coil has 10 times fewer windings, it creates a current with 10 times lower voltage.
Two Magnetic Types. There are two types of magnetic landscape lighting transformers. These vary by the type of core:
- Laminated/stacked cores (also know as EI type). Laminated or stacked windings have sheets wrapped in copper wire that are then stacked or laminated together to make a core. This is the more common, less expensive method for manufacturing a core. These are less efficient, run hotter and are noisier than toroidal cores.
- Toroidal cores. These are one solid unit shaped like a donut and have the windings wrapped around the donut, in and out of the donut hole. Toroidal cores are more efficient, experience less buzz, and run cooler but are more expensive to make.
The choice of whether or not to use a toroidal core also depends the system load. Systems with relatively high loads - such as lighting systems with 10 or more fixtures, benefit the most from toroidal cores; smaller systems - such as those with less than 50 watts of load, are served well with EI laminated types. This is why VOLT® sells its smallest transformer (75 watt capacity) with an EI core.
What are Electronic Transformers?
This transformer type converts the 120 volt current to 12 volts by first increasing the frequency of the current (from 60 Hz to as high as 20,000 Hz). The increased frequency allows the use of a miniature core enabling the transformer to be very small, light, and inexpensive. The biggest downside is that their high frequency current may not be compatible with LED circuits. These currents also suffer from extensive voltage loss compared to magnetic types. A 12-volt electronic transformer must be positioned within about 10 ft. of the fixture. Electronic transformers are also subject to overheating and premature failure. For all these reasons, VOLT® only uses electronic transformers for indoor lights such as under-cabinet and strip lighting.
Still have questions about transformer types? Call our lighting specialists at 813-978-3700.
- Non-brushed 304 stainless steel with removable cover
- Stainless Steel
- 60″ black 18 AWG SJTW cord and plug set
- 12V and 15V
- Up to 12-gauge wire
- Secondary: (2) 25A Magnetic Circuit Breakers; Primary: Automatic (auto reset) Thermal Breaker in core
- ETL Listed
- 14″ height x 6″ width x 5.5″ depth