VOLT Lighting - Service Industry Scholarship Competition
VOLT Lighting - Service Industry Scholarship Competition - $400
Eligible applicants include the staff and immediate family members of those employed by the following service providers:
- Landscaping/Lawn Care Services
- Roofing Companies
- Distribution and Wholesale
- Transportation and Logistics
- Home Maintenance Repair
- Media Services
VOLT Lighting is offering a bi-annual scholarship opportunity to those working in a service industry.
No Fee to Apply!
Eligibility Requirements Are as Follows
- Applicants must be employed by one of the above listed service industries or be an immediate family member to someone who works for one of the above listed service industries.
- Applicants must have earned less than $50,000 in the previous calendar year.
- Applicants must be able to produce proof of employment status or relationship to employee upon request.
- Applicants must have an active email address i.e. Yahoo, Gmail, AOL, etc.
- Applicants must either be a part-time or full-time student in high school or college or be a part-time or full-time employee at one of the above referenced service industries.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 16 – 25.
Essay Topics to Choose From
VOLT Lighting is continually working to improve its quality, processes and services, and we do so by considering the input of staff, partners and our valued customers. Our scholarship competition revolves around this same concept.
- What service industry are you currently affiliated with? What do you think that industry will be like in the next 10 years?
- Choose a person that you admire and explain why.
- Briefly describe your long- and short-term goals. Where do you see yourself 10 years from now?
- Describe your most meaningful achievements and how they relate to your field of study and your future goals.
- Describe a problem you have faced in your related service industry and how you worked to create a solution for it.
or, select a topic by your related service industry:
- Landscaping/Lawn Care: What separates quality landscaping from average or low-quality landscaping work? Have you used any landscape lighting to enhance your landscape projects?
- Home Maintenance and Repair: How do you feel that low voltage landscape lighting could help to improve the safety, beauty, and utility of your clients' homes? Do you have any use cases in which landscape lighting benefited a client?
- Transportation, Distribution, and Logistics: How do you think Amazon has impacted your industry? What are the positives and negatives? How do you think these impacts will change in the next 10 years?
Essay Writing Instructions
Each submission must be unique and written by you in your own words. It should be submitted in the form of a PDF or Microsoft Word document (i.e. PDF, .DOC, or .DOCX) and typewritten.
Application Submission Guidelines
Before submitting your essay, please review the submission guidelines to help ensure your submission is correct.
- Essay must be at least 800 words in length.
- Your submission must include your full name, current GPA, your essay, your age, email address and the name of your current employer, high school, and college or university. If you are a selected winner, we will collect your mailing address at the time of notification.
- If you are a student whose parent(s) work for a qualifying industry be sure to include your parents full name and the name of their respective employer.
- During the week following each deadline, monitor your email address. If your submission is selected as the winner you will be notified via email and provided instructions for receiving recognition and the scholarship award funds.
The scholarship is offered bi-annually from April 1 – July 31, 2018 and September 1 – December 31, 2018. There are two opportunities to apply per year with deadlines as follows:
Winner Selection Week
Winners are selected one week following each deadline. Winners will be notified via email and will receive the award via United States Postal Service. Winners will be provided a tracking number to track delivery of the award.
Commonly Asked Questions and Answers
Yes. You can apply if you, or at least one of your parent(s), work in that industry.
One winner per application period.
No. In order to qualify, applicants must be currently enrolled at least part time.
If you are selected as the winning applicant, we will request proof of visa status at the time we notify you that you’re the winner.
2018 is the first year of the competition, therefore we cannot provide feedback on application volumes.
Yes. Each applicant may apply once per application period.
A GPA of 2.75 or higher is recommended but not required.
No. Once your submission is received, we will notify winners during the week following the application deadline.
Applicants must have a working email. If you currently do not, gmail.com, aol.com and yahoo.com are free options. Your college or university issued email address will also suffice.