Article | 6 Tips for a Better Landscape Lighting Plan
What is a Landscape Lighting Plan?
If you are a lighting professional, a lighting plan is a carefully prepared description of lighting goals, strategies to achieve those goals, and a list of products required to accomplish the task. Such a plan may be accompanied by drawings, photos, and a timeline for completion. Such a professional might walk the property with the homeowner and describe his or her vision for the transformation that would take place. Such is the value of a lighting professional, and for those with a budget to hire a pro, the results are well worth the investment.
What if Hiring a Pro is not in the Budget?
If the budget is not there, and if you are a determined do-it-yourselfer with basic electrical skills and the willingness to purchase high quality products, then you can forge ahead and create your own lighting plan.
Here are 6 tips for a better landscape lighting plan.
- Set lighting goals. You can set a very specific goal - such as "Light my front path" or "Illuminate my mailbox". That's fine for a very limited project. But, lighting can accomplish a host of things on your property. Here are the main ones. Put each goal on a separate page.
- Safety. Ensure that no one trips or falls on your property.
- Security. Illumination deters would-be intruders - but it must be done correctly.
- Beauty. Use light to reveal beauty already existing in the landscape. And, use light and shadow to create new beauty.
- Lifestyle. Extend your backyard living space and illuminate recreational areas
- Economy. If you have non-LED lighting on your property, it's time to join the LED wave and start saving energy.